The Forfeited Fith Ring

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Date: 04 Jun 2003 20:43:51 EDT

Var,

It's a bittersweet victory when you end up with a ring you retired a month or so before. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I was well aware of the fact people were not too happy with my retiring rings. I would've held the Second either until I managed to finally get a challenge or until the next Warlord's Tournament.

And as I stated before, if those persons in the tournament gave a damn they would've shown their faces before the tournament. There's nothing stopping *anyone* from getting a ring by way of accumulating peers. But you know what? For a person to do that they'd have to be active.

~Harris D'Artainian
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:10 pm

Date: 04 Jun 2003 21:38:09 EDT

It takes rare talent to insult both the Barons one holds as unworthy of their titles and at the same time insult those who entered a tourney perhaps hoping to become one.

For Harris' part, if he wishes to earn his peer wins and makes his challenges to remove Barons from their titles, that's his perogative, but I don't believe that the entrants in the WLT should likewise be punished. I think it only fair that the 5th Baron's Ring go to the next finisher in the WLT. If Harris does not want it, there are those that do.

~*~ Aelric Shadowmane ~*~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Jun 2003 02:58:11 EDT

Well now, seems I stirred the pot a bit no?

Since this is known as the Duel of Swords and not the Duel of Nych, let us take a poll.
All in favor of letting Harris off the hook say Aye
Opposed, Nay.

And for the 5th ring, My first thought was the next runner up should be awarded it, so, All in favor, Say Aye, and opposed, Nay

Fair enough?

By the way, Harris does make a pretty good point when he is on his medication

Nych
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Jun 2003 11:32:44 EDT

Ah says, what's done is done. But if'n yer gon' let him back ta gettin' alla these chumps back ta brawlin', Ah'm all fer it.

An' as fer thaht ring? Ah says give it ta whoever wants it.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Jun 2003 14:33:05 EDT

::speaking in his soft, whispery, gravelly voice::

It's been almost forever since I've ventured near the Arena. Things haven't changed much. I can hardly believe that so many people are taking personal offense to Harris' 'bad attitude'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like having a bad attitude of one form or another is damn near a requirement to participate in activities in this neck of Rhy'din. I've seen more than my share of people who participate in the various duels who are yet contemptuous or disrespectful of them. Gods know there are more than a few folks on Twilight Island who treat the Duel of Magic a tad more frivolously than I am comfortable with...

But I digress.

Harris won and then surrendered a ring. This has happened before, so follow the precedents. Treat him no differently than anyone else in the past who has done the same. If it is to be treated differently this time, then that is the new standard which is to be used for ALL such cases going forward. The sanctions should be judged solely on a person's actions, not their attitude. Heaven's help us if bad attitude is held against us on Judgment Day...

I would also vote to not complicate things further by requiring another 'mini tourney' for the ring. Just give it to the next runner up (whoever he or she may be) and be done with it.

~~ Klytus
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:11 pm

Date: 05 Jun 2003 15:36:56 EDT

I've stayed out of it for the duration and I've kept my thoughts to myself; but, what Nych has proposed seems to be the best way to go about it, if you ask me.

I say Aye on both accounts.

Nicholas Tyme
Baron of the 12th.

>Since this is known as the Duel of Swords and not the Duel of Nych, let us
>take a poll.
>All in favor of letting Harris off the hook say Aye
>Opposed, Nay.
>
>And for the 5th ring, My first thought was the next runner up should be
>awarded it, so, All in favor, Say Aye, and opposed, Nay
>
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Jun 2003 20:13:00 EDT

On the first count I vote: Aye

On the second count I vote: Nay. Put it in the bucket for the next WLT.

Capt Sneggle
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Jun 2003 21:58:02 EDT

Gee, thanks for giving me a chance to reply, Nych. But, I think Shakira beat me in the tournament, so it's cool. She was like the cat thing, right?

Deluthan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 01:25:16 EDT

Nych,

The Fifth Ring has special signifigance for me, but that matters not at the moment.

Since you asked for opinions, I think the ring should be awarded to the next place finisher in the tourney.

As for Harris... while I don't understand why he retired the ring under the circumstances he did, it is his choice to do so. He won the ring instead of the shot at the Overlord, which he apparently would have preferred. Others have done similiar things that were considered inane by some. This too shall pass.

Collie

~Never waken a sleeping bear unless you have a shotgun.~

M. A. Voss
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:12 pm

Date: 06 Jun 2003 02:22:42 EDT

As I said in th' letter I sent...

I was defeated in th' Tourney by th' man who won. Thet is enough fer me. I dinnae face either of these other two during th' course o' th' Tourney, but thet does nae matter tae me.

As fer th' ease o' Challengin', an' gatherin' Peer Wins... it'd help ifin more than a handful o' Peers e'er showed up. Most times thet I come in, I don' e'en see a Peer tae duel.

Lady Karen Wilder
Knight-Captain of the Order of the Knights Templar
First Catholic Church of Rhy'Din
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 10:02:19 EDT

Well done, Nych. With all your decisions.

I'm glad that the Harris matter is settled. I would hate to see people punished further in the future for standing up to what they think it's right, regardless of what we think.

As the decision of the fifth, if I had known it was Shakira... oh well. If she finished that well up in the tournament. She is trouble. Obviously nobody remembers her. I do and quite well. Just a warning.

Congratulations.

And I have to agree with Karen in the matter of peers dueling these days. I do not look for peers, but I do prefer to duel Warlords when I do duel. The sad part is that when they do go to the Arena is to look for peers and they won't duel anybody else. No, I am not a current Warlord. Will I want to be one again in the future? Maybe. I am in no rush. Sometimes it's just more fun to watch which is what I mostly do these days.

Amaltea thu-Darelir
Sovereign of Barsi
11th Overlord of DoS
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 18:12:00 EDT

> As fer th' ease o' Challengin', an' gatherin' Peer Wins... it'd help ifin
>more than a handful o' Peers e'er showed up. Most times thet I come in, I
>don' e'en see a Peer tae duel.

Funny. I don't have that problem.

Hold Fast,
Grayson MacLeod.
Past Holder of IceDancer, Emerald of the Duel of Fists.
Warlord of the Duel of Swords.
Past Keeper of Water.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 23:05:05 EDT

Nae everyone can spend their lives in th' Arena, Grayson.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 07 Jun 2003 11:15:52 EDT

>Nae everyone can spend their lives in th' Arena, Grayson.

::shrug:: Hey, they gotta restock tha bar sometime.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:13 pm

Date: 07 Jun 2003 19:04:27 EDT

If a warlord or warlady is unable to visit every night, or even once a week, perhaps they could give advance notice on this board of the nights during the cycle that they actually will attend. Everyone wants rare peer wins, no?