Duelophobia

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Duelophobia

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:22 pm

Date: 12 Jun 2003 13:00:58 EDT

In the June 8th issue of a widely-circulate Dueling fanzine, The Dueling World Observer, a two-part article was featured, written by an unnamed journalist. With the number of dueling magazines increasing and competition amongst them rising drastically, the fanzine was forced to resort to more questionable tabloid-style reporting to sell magazines. The journalist posed as a member of the staff at the Wrecking Crew training center to learn more about the team dynamics of the Crew as a force in the Arena. The following is the first part of the article appearing in this week's magazine.

"The hell's your problem, darlin'?" Bode asked with a confused frown as he leaned over the ropes at the... well, I cannot tell you exactly where I'm reporting from at the moment. The where abouts of the Wrecking Crew's private training facilities is kept a closely guarded secret. They enjoy the privacy that it offers. While I am revealing their secrets in this article, I'd like to protect their privacy as much as possible... as well as protecting my identity.

Therefore, I'll simply say that I observed Bode from this secret training center where I was pretending to be part of the staff. Which part of said staff would only allow the Crew to narrow down my identity further and I hate to think of what type of retribution a group of angry Italians from New York City dishes out. You'll simply have to trust that my observations went unnoticed by the Crew.

Maria, clad merely in a sports bra and clingy black workout pants, waved dissuasively at Bode. "I'm simply not in the mood is all," she stated before returning to stretching out those delicious curves. Many would argue that Kaja is the sexiest Crew member bar none. While Kaja does have that sexy erotic thing going on, I have always had a soft spot for the girl-next-door types. However, I digress....

"I won't whoop up on ya, darlin'. I know you ain't been in a ring in forever. Just come on," Bode grumbled from inside the ring once more. The scene between the duo did not seem to raise many eyebrows from other Crew members at this point. This was simply a typically scheduled training session. I believe that most of the Crew had simply grown accustomed to the constant, yet good-natured, bickering that flowed throughout Bode and Maria's relationship.

What that relationship entails still remains a mystery. I think it can clearly be assumed that any remaining "virtue" that the Graziano brothers had managed to protect in Maria has long since been erased by Bode. Is it simply some twisted form of lust that draws Maria to the redneck? While I believe it is more than simple lust, I find it hard to imagine that such a man can love, especially love a self-conscious young woman like Maria. Beautiful women and ugly men. Polar opposites. It's a chemical thing, I assume. I was a journalism major, though. I should have been a chemistry major. I probably would have made a good deal more money and I wouldn't have to pose as janitorial staff in smelly gyms to get the inside scoop.

Back to the situation at hand, there was a hint of emotion in Maria's eyes that I couldn't place at the time. I now know what it is I saw that day. Fear. She feared a low-contact duel with her own.... boyfriend, lover, friend with benefits, whatever they wanted to call each other this week.

My attention to the unfolding drama was deterred slightly when I caught sight of a very good line-of-sight to Kaja's rear as she lifted weights. And what a nice rear she has. My gaze lingered there until I was shot a look from her spotter, Ticallion Carter. I swear. It's impossible to even admire the forms of the lovely Crew women without being shot such looks from brothers or significant others.

Quickly I attempted to focus back on the task I was supposed to be completing (I cannot mention which task that was for fear of revealing my identity) and listen to the conversation between Bode and Maria. "Ain't nothin' to be 'fraid of," Bode was stating again. Maria was doing her best to pay him no mind.

At this point, though, Chris was raising a brow. At that moment he was in a ring with Kheldar Drasinia, engaging in some light contact dueling of his own. The interesting thing about Chris Graziano and Kheld is that one is almost Ying to the other's Yang. Kheld is a good head taller than Chris and their personalities are complete 180s. Chris is a volatile, violence-proned kid while Kheld is a quiet, more subdued man. When Chris talks, the Crew listens. The Crew would probably save themselves a lot in ill-reputation and trouble if they ignored Chris's ridiculous contributions and listened more to the more reasonable Kheld. No matter who the captain of the team, the eldest Graziano brother is quite clearly the head of the extended "Crew" family.

Chris raised a hand to halt the duel with Kheld with his free hand, dropping the ring post he duels with to the floor. He turned to inspect the situation for himself while Kheld leaned back against the ropes, interested to see what had caught Chris's attention. "Tone," Chris called out towards his brother who was spotting RJ.

"Yo," Tony Graziano shouted back, giving Chris an upward nod while he kept an eye out on his cousin's reps. While Tony and RJ may not be the most proven members of the Crew in the ring, they are the two that I fear the most. Those two don't play by anybody else's rules. They're thugs. Nothing more. When placed in a ring with specific rules, they flounder. On the streets, however, watch your back.

"When was the last time you saw Maria duel?" Chris called back to Tony. As Maria realized that her brothers had caught wind of the conversation between her and Bode, she paled and stopped mid-stretch which was interesting vantage point to view her cleavage from. Every stretch I kept hoping that she dropped just a bit lower and one would pop out but, as if by magic, they remained contained in that stretchy material.

"Maria? A while I guess," Tony conceded before allowing his attention to return fully on RJ. He offered encouragement, or as close as Tony comes to encouragement, to RJ as he continued his curls. "Yo' can't be tire' yo' ain't done that many yet."

Bode seemed to suddenly realize that he had just gotten Maria into a world of trouble. "Ain't no big deal, bud. She just don't want to jump in against me 'fore she's back in shape is all." Maria flashed him a thankful look but Bode's words didn't seem to do much to deter Chris's dogged pursuit of the issue.

Ria had been looking over the training records with one of the Crew's private trainers on the opposite side of the main room when she caught wind of the commotion. By the looks of her body, one would never know she had been pregnant just a year before. If the Crew was ever to discover my true identity, it would be Ria I'd want to dish out my punishment. Yum.

She motioned away the private trainer, a hunk of a man who scurried off after a simply flick of Ria's wrist. "What's going on?" she called out towards Chris, frowning slightly. Ria just seems to know when that husband of her's is up to no good. Most of the time, she's there to step in before his mouth gets him into too much trouble.

"Ask her," Chris said as he pointed an accusatory finger at Maria, mirroring the same confused frown that Bode had sported earlier. For everything negative I have said regarding Chris in this article so far, I would suspect that suggesting that he and Bode had anything in common -- even a frown -- would win hands-down. Chris is not a big fan of Bode nor of his sister's fondness for the overgrown redneck. Like all the Grazianos, however, Maria has a monumental stubborn streak.

Ria's features softened when she spotted the frightened look on Maria's face. Ria has always seemed to hold a special place in her heart for her sister-in-law. Perhaps because Maria lacks the confidence that comes so readily to Ria. Perhaps Ria has always wished to have a sister. I do not know. I simply know that there remains a special bond between the two young women. "What's going on, Maria?"

"I-- I just don't want to duel is all. I don't know why everybody's makin' such a big fuss about it," Maria snapped, sending a pointed glare in Bode's direction. He withered beneath it, holding his hands up innocently to her.

"Why not?" Ria asked patiently. The woman must have the patience of a saint to marry into the Graziano family. Who does that willingly? Chris probably clubbed her over the head and claimed her. Their family doesn't seem to be big on romance. I could teach that Ria a thing or two about how a real man treats a woman. A couple candlelit dinners and surprises of flowers and I'd have her eating out of my hand. Maybe her and Kaja.... Oh, the possibilities.

"I don't wanna make a fool outta myself and WRC. I just ain't very good. My luck's all run dry," Maria stumbled over her words. She suddenly seemed very interested in those designer sneakers she was wearing. My kid asked for a pair of Tical's designer sneakers the other day. One hundred and twenty dollar shoes. For one hundred and twenty bucks those shoes better make him duel like Tical.

"Only you believe that," Kheld spoke up from his spot against the ropes, sending Maria a warm, comforting smile. 

Kaja had moved on to a stair-climber, leaving Tical free to jump into the conversation as well. Interestingly enough, it is Kaja who tends to avoid Crew squabbles like the plague. She does not play the peacekeeping role that Kheld does. Instead, it is almost like she can sense them coming and steer clear of them. Therefore, on this afternoon, Kaja was thrown full throttle into a brisk workout. "You got game, girl. Stop tryin' to deny it," Tical said, sending over an encouraging smile.

Maria's dark eyes dropped to the floor and she shook her head sadly. "You guys just don't get it."

"I don't get it? I don't get it? Do you remember last season?" Chris pointedly asked Maria, referring of course to his rough 2 in 7 start in the previous season.

"That doesn't count, Chris. You're good. You really are," Maria spoke up in a big sisterly tone. Chris sighed, throwing his hands up with a frustrated grunt. Kheld gave him a knowing little shrug but remained silent as he watched the Crew drama unfold.

"You know I have a friend of a friend who is a DJ---" Tical started.

"Yeah! Wha' Maria needs is a good party!" Tony jumped in with a bright, supportive grin. RJ, having abandoned his reps in favor of the more interesting conversation, joined in with several rigorous nods. I know I'm killing doe-eyed, preteen girls across RhyDin by saying this but those boys just aren't very bright.

Tical shot Tony an admonishing look before beginning again, "I have a friend of a friend who is a DJ--"

This time it was Kaja who interrupted. Those sultry, dark brown eyes were filled with mischief as she piped in cheerfully, "'He's hot."

Tical frowned suddenly, her eyes swiveling back towards the stair-climber where Kaja was wiping sweat from her brow with a white sweat towel with the dark blue Crew insignia embroidered on it. "Who is hot?" Tical shot back in her direction.

"Your friend that has a friend that's a DJ. Jeremy is his name, right?" Kaja nodded earnestly, answering her own question. "Yeah, Jeremy. Hot."

Tical gave a slight shake of his head, his gaze moving back on the rest of the Crew. "Anyway. I have a friend that has a friend who is a DJ and his brother is a sports psychologist."

Bode frowned indigently at Tical. "Maria don't need no head shrinker." At some point during the exchange, Bode had swiped a beer from within his gym bag. That, my loyal readers, is what Bode carries in his gym bag. Beer. Not just any beer either. Bode would be truly hurt if we labeled his stockpile merely "beer". He is always true to the "Captain Hammer's" brand name.

The beer swung from between his fingers lazily and he got a dark scowl from Ria as she spotted the beer. The Crew's stance on Bode's drinking is a little shady. The official stance of the Wrecking Crew management is that Bode has no drinking problem. However, the rumors have run rampant over the Crew reaction to Bode's drinking, especially when representing WRC.

"That's actually a decent idea," Ria spoke up after a moment's hesitation. "Get me a name and number for this guy, Tical, and I'll set it up."

"Whoa. Wait a minute. Isn't anybody going to ask me what I think of this plan?" Maria protested.

"Maria, you have a contract to maintain. You are a professional dueler who is afraid to duel. Do you not think that this is somewhat of a major problem?" Ria spoke calmly, putting on her best motherly glare.

"But it's the off-season!" Maria claimed desperately.

"Off-season? We're trying to take over the Arena, remember? You will go and you will like it," Ria said a bit more firmly, leaving no doubt that the consequences for refusal would be grave. Maria nodded her resignation meekly, a hand rubbing at the back of her neck. "Good. Now that it's settled. I want everybody back to work. You're all out of shape," Ria grumbled at the lot of them.

Make sure you buy next week's installment of The Dueling World Observer so that you can read Part Two of our journalist's inside reporting of the Crew's inner world.