Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:34 pm

Date: 25 Jun 2003 20:12:21 EDT

i say we let the church pay for it then jump karen

Dom
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 29 Jun 2003 02:17:48 EDT

Ever notice how touchy churchfolk get when their motives are put to the question?

This is the same order of knights that was outlawed as heretic, and their last grand master burned at the stake, by this very church.

One would think the Catholic church had learned its lesson the first time. Perhaps not.

The Catholic church is good at this sort of thing. Buy out the village, usurp the traditions and rituals of the locals, make them Christian holidays, then outlaw the non-Christian versions of them.

Before you know it, the Catholic church would have us kneeling and offering prayers to God, and dipping our fingers in Holy Water before we duel.

Then they'd outlaw the bar, and make Hubie and the lads dress in frocks and be altar boys. Followed by a strict dress code for the duelers (though I bet Amaltea would be a hottie in Catholic schoolgirl plaid).

Then they'd take down any decoration that does not glorify Christ. And rename the Ward of Gondar to the Ward of the Holy Ghost or something like that.

We're better off if none of the traditions of the Arena get subsumed by them sneaky priests and their corrupt church.

I'll add a bid of 2,000 gold crowns to keep the church's hands off our honored relics.

Jak O'Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 29 Jun 2003 14:42:02 EDT

>Before you know it, the Catholic church would have us kneeling and offering
>prayers to God, and dipping our fingers in Holy Water before we duel.

Some of us are already doing that, Seamus.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:35 pm

Date: 29 Jun 2003 18:30:49 EDT

rbiD
RhyDin's Online Junkheap

-- ------Item # 64683167483560113---------

Current Bid: R 100 gp / R 2000 gp **
Starting Bid: R 1 gp
# of bids: 7 / 11 **
Time Left: 15 days

** - Pending Credit Validation
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Date: 29 Jun 2003 22:09:00 EDT

>>Before you know it, the Catholic church would have us kneeling and offering
>>prayers to God, and dipping our fingers in Holy Water before we duel.
>
>Some of us are already doing that, Seamus.

I'm flattered you might consider me akin to Seamus MacDonnaugh, though I am puzzled how you got to Seamus from Jak.

Last time I checked, there are no Holy Water fonts installed near the rings, so if you're importing your own Holy Water to dip your fingers in that's ok with me. It's when you try to install the fonts, altars, candles, holy icons, and whatnot that I see a problem. And the first step towards that always seems so innocent.

This isn't a Christian sport. It's just a sport. Let's keep it that way.

Separation of church and sport sounds like a good philosophy to me.

Jak O'Swords <-- not Seamus MacDonnaugh
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:49 pm

Date: 30 Jun 2003 01:54:43 EDT

She read: "Some of us are already doing that, Seamus."

She tacked up three notes:

~Lydia,

Seamus MacDonnaugh is many things, but afraid to sign his own name to his opinions is not one of them.

Collie~
<HR>

~Jak,

I don't know who you are, but I think you have said it best. This is a relic of a member of the Duel of Swords community, not of the Catholic Church. It should be returned to the rightful owner or placed in the Arena's collection among the banners and other artifacts.

Colleen MacLeod~
<HR>

Karen,

Can you please tell me why the church has such a great desire to obtain this weapon?

Collie
DoS Archive
Archivist

rom: karenwilder@aol.com (Karen Wilder)
Date: 04 Jul 2003 00:22:47 EDT

Collie, me friend.

I fear ye've been taken in by th' bad press thet me detractors are bandyin' about.

Neither I, nor any member o' th' Order, has e'er said thet we want this blade. Only thet we wish th' blade tae be put on display here in th' Arena, just as weapons an' momentoes of other fighters have been.

Ser "Jak".

I dinnae know of any incident leading to th' Knights Templar being declared Heratic, nor o' our Grand Master bein' burned at th' stake. Perhaps ye've been misinformed?

As fer th' rest, Cardinal Francis would better be able tae discuss such matters with ye.

Lady Karen Wilder
Knight-Captain of the Order of the Knights Templar
First Catholic Church of Rhy-Din.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jul 2003 01:55:13 EDT

I hear those Catholics are demons in the sack. How much does it cost to get into the club nowadays anyway?

~Harris
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:50 pm

Date: 04 Jul 2003 22:50:58 EDT

Karen,

That was the reason I went to the horse's mouth as the saying goes. I was not sure of who was wanting what in the midst of what became a discussion over relgion.

If your goal is to have the blade on display, my friend, then it will be done. I just sold four prime stock horses and will be glad to offer up some of the proceeds.

Collie
<HR>

The next bid posted for the blade was listed as 7000 gold.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Jul 2003 01:16:42 EDT

It's bull that you want to put the blade on display. It's a weapon that should be fought with.

I put down 7001 gold to win the blade and slice somebody up.

Dominic
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Jul 2003 13:18:06 EDT

"I put down 7001 gold to win the blade and slice somebody up.

Dominic"

Problem is Dominic, you don't have the skill to slice anyone up.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Jul 2003 14:55:29 EDT

That's alright, honey. The great thing about ignorance is that it is easily cured.

I'm sure the cardinal would just as soon you not know the history of your own Order. After all, time and time again those who seek to maintain power and control have made sure that education was discouraged. It's much easier to control a populace, or an Order, when they aren't educated enough to understand how they are being abused.

The records are easily available though. I'm sure the Rhy'Din Municipal Library has several books on the subject of Earth history circa 1300 when Grand Master Jacques de Molay was burned at the stake and the Knights Templar were officially disbanded by the Roman Catholic church.

Jak O'Swords

I tender a bid of 7,500 gold crowns.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:51 pm

Date: 06 Jul 2003 00:48:14 EDT

Domininc,

I'm afraid G has already won the title of "Best Word Mincer."

Collie
<HR>

Jak,

Perhaps, it is you who needs a lesson on the place you currently reside in. Welcome to Rhydin, the center of the multiverse where all things, people, and times converge. It is a place where anything can and often does happen including meeting folk alternate worlds of origin.

You also need a lesson in the proper address of a female knight. The proper address would be Dame Karen Wilder or Lady Karen Wilder not honey. Should you wish to research the subject, I would be glad to direct you to the library's copies of Burke's Peerage.

Colleen MacLeod
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jul 2003 01:25:29 EDT

I know well where I am, toots.

And I am well familiar with the many alternate Earths. I've visited quite a few of them in fact. Not surprisingly, the Catholic church is remarkably the same on most of them. And the same for the Knights Templar for that matter. But, even if the one creeping its fingers into Rhy'Din isn't one of the ones that declared their Knights heretic and burned its leaders, the propensity of realities that did burn them and outlaw them is overwhelming. Which provides more than enough reason not to trust them.

As for the proper address, well, if she don't like me referring to her as honey, that's unfortunate, but archaic titles don't mean much to me. But, you can call her Dame all you like.

Jak O'Swords
Properly addressed as Grand Master of Pointy Things and if you don't call him that, don't expect to be called "Lord", "Lady", "Your Majesty" or anything else.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jul 2003 04:02:13 EDT

Grand Master of Pointy Things,

Let me make this clear... unless you're called Jesse Troyn don't call me toots or other such terms of endearment again or you may consider it giving me an invitation to geld you.

Unless she asks otherwise of me, I will call her by her given name, Karen, and friend as I have done since long before she was a member of the Knights Templar.

Oh.. and ante is upped...

Colleen MacLeod
<HR>
A bid of 8500 gold is placed on the sword