Japanese heavy metal on the block

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:59 pm

Date: 10 Aug 2003 11:43:47 EDT

Contrary to popular belief (though I am not sure that Jak is too popular) I do not have the sword.

Sprite Argo
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Aug 2003 15:05:03 EDT

>I'm sure you're somewhat witty to someone else.
>

Likewise, Starke. Likewise.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Aug 2003 17:09:07 EDT

"Last time I checked, the way auctions normally work, is that the high bidder
gets the prize."

First off, it's within the owner's rights to answer the bid that he or she wants to answer.

Second, you didn't make the highest bid. I bid 8000 denarii...that translates to somewhat more than 20,000 gold pieces.

Third, why are you bidding 20,000 gold pieces on an unenchanted sword? Where are you getting the finances to afford this? What reason did Kateri have to believe that you could back up your bid?

Before you turn the same question on me, let me beat you to it: I wanted to return the sword to it's *real* rightful owner, my friend Unagi. As for how I can afford it, I'm a landlord with substantial holdings in agricultural ventures. There's a valley 47 miles southwest of Rhydin proper; I own 65 percent of the valley, and act as a de facto overlord for the other 35 percent. Several people in this community can bear witness to my claim.

"Go back to trading Baron rings with people."

First, let everyone witness that I didn't start the rank argument.

Anyhow, this is rich. Son, have you ever gotten past the rank of Master at Arms?

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:00 pm

Date: 10 Aug 2003 17:47:15 EDT

"As for how I can afford it, I'm a landlord with substantial holdings in agricultural ventures."

In order to bid for this item folks, you have to tell us exactly how you make your money.

And if you're lying, we want the exact location of where you receive said moneys.

For example:

"There's a valley 47 miles southwest of Rhydin proper; I own 65 percent of the valley, and act as a de facto overlord for the other 35 percent."

Lending a helping hand,
- Starke
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:00 pm

Date: 10 Aug 2003 19:44:43 EDT

I don't get it.

Is there now something wrong with revealing how you make money? Is honesty now a vice?

Seriously, I didn't see any monies attached to this corkboard during the bidding process. Anyone can claim they have 20,000 pieces of gold. If I enter a contract with someone for that kind of money, I want to either see the 20,000 gold pieces, or I want proof of how they are able to procure 20,000 gold pieces. It's called "common business sense".

Now, 20,000 gold is not a trivial amount of money. Neither is 8000 denarii, but Unagi's sword is no small matter to me. "Jak" just seems to think it's a neat sword. If someone's willing to spend 20,000 gold on a sword, then they either have a lot of money burning a hole in their coinpurse, or they're lying.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:01 pm

Date: 11 Aug 2003 09:00:08 EDT

First off, it's within the owner's rights to answer the bid that he or she wants to answer.

That's normally called a sale. Not an auction. In an auction it traditionally goes to the top bidder. Otherwise, it wasn't really an auction.

Second, you didn't make the highest bid. I bid 8000 denarii...that translates to somewhat more than 20,000 gold pieces.

Looking back through the various bids, I have to wonder if converting from Roman numerals is also a problem for you. Your bid, for example, was not 8,000 denarii, but 1,000 denarii. My bid was not 20,000, that was Sprite's bid. Collie's last bid was 25,000. And my last bid was 26,000.

However, I am sure you could retroactively declare that 1000 denarii is still a higher value.

Third, why are you bidding 20,000 gold pieces on an unenchanted sword?

Does my reason for bidding matter? I've already stated this is no ordinary piece of metal, but rather the blade of a respected member of these rings.

First, let everyone witness that I didn't start the rank argument.

Anyhow, this is rich. Son, have you ever gotten past the rank of Master at Arms?

Actually, Junior, since you assumed that I couldn't back up a "threat" I figured you must be referring to my present rank, because we haven't crossed blades in a ring, to my recollection, for you to actually have a measure of my skill. But then, you do have a habit of underestimating people.

Seriously, I didn't see any monies attached to this corkboard during the bidding process. Anyone can claim they have 20,000 pieces of gold. If I enter a contract with someone for that kind of money, I want to either see the 20,000 gold pieces, or I want proof of how they are able to procure 20,000 gold pieces. It's called "common business sense".

I don't know, I don't think you've provided enough proof yet that you had the funds in question. Could you provide your bank account number, PIN, and three samples of your signature? I am sure we could clear it right up with a quick visit to the bank.

"Jak" just seems to think it's a neat sword.

No quotes necessary, the name is Jak. And that's another assumption on your part. You appear to hold the blade in high esteem, but won't acknowledge that others might hold it in high esteem as well?

Jak O'Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 11 Aug 2003 11:08:02 EDT

"Actually, Junior, since you assumed that I couldn't back up a "threat" I
figured you must be referring to my present rank, because we haven't crossed
blades in a ring, to my recollection, for you to actually have a measure of
my skill. "

Okay, first off. If I misclaimed the number of my bid, my honest apologies.

And no, 1000 denarii is not of a greater value than 26,000 pieces of gold. But that's a moot point anyhow. The sword is gone. Word seems to be that Unagi took it back, but as far as I know, that's just hearsay.

But there's nothing you can do about it, except cry. Which is why I've left a nice blue cloth by this post, in case you want it.

As for dueling you being an accurate measure of your skill...no, not really. People trade wins and losses all the time. But hey, you're going to measure your skill with a blade in the manner that makes you look the best.

At any rate, if you want to duel, you know where to find me.

"You appear to hold the blade in high esteem, but won't acknowledge that
others might hold it in high esteem as well?"

The difference is that you respect Unagi; I actually know him and count him as a comrade and a friend. He's a member of my TDL team, I have stood as his Second while he's defended the Third Ring. If you follow his career, you may have noted that even after surrendering his sword to Kateri, he was dueling with a similiar weapon. That was a gift from me.

At any rate, if the rumors are true, I disengage from this debate. For the sword is back where it belongs.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 11 Aug 2003 14:37:58 EDT

"Seriously, I didn't see any monies attached to this corkboard during the bidding process."

I'm praying someone attaches money to the cork. That'd be priceless.

"If I enter a contract with someone for that kind of money, I want to either see the 20,000 gold pieces, or I want proof of how they are able to procure 20,000 gold pieces."

Or you could just sue the crap out of them?

I can't imagine someone winning the auction, but not having the gold pieces they claimed to have had, receiving the blade. Its "common sense." We'll leave business out of this.

Just admit you're sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

- Starke
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Aug 2003 02:18:00 EDT

All thet talk o' Rank goin' about...

I have one thing tae say about it.

Rank in th' Duels an' Skill in th' Ring dinnae always indicate true skill on th' field o' battle... nor in th' streets an' alleys.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Aug 2003 08:26:25 EDT

"Rank in th' Duels an' Skill in th' Ring dinnae always indicate true skill on th' field o' battle... nor in th' streets an' alleys."

Neither does flapping your gums and claiming you can handle yourself.

Which is all "Jak" has shown so far.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:02 pm

Date: 13 Aug 2003 09:39:12 EDT

>Neither does flapping your gums and claiming you can handle yourself.

And here I thought you had disengaged from this debate, "Cas".

Matter of fact, I've said nothing to indicate how well I can handle myself. Rather, I've commented that you have no basis for declaring that I can't (but that's in keeping with everyone's favorite sport in the Arena which is "deride the new guy"), and that you have a habit of underestimating opponents.

You've also made assumptions that because I do not personally claim Unagi Miyamoto as a friend and comrade that my interest in his blade is somehow less worthy than your interest in it. How did you put it...'"Jak" just seems to think it's a neat sword.' And you question why I'd want a non-magical blade.

Near as I can remember, I've not questioned why you want the blade, so I'm at a loss to understand, "Cas", why you feel the need to challenge my (or anyone else's) interest in it.

So, getting back to what I did actually inquire about. "Cas", you claim that there are rumors the sword is once again in the hands of Miyamoto-san. If that be the case, then I respectfully request that Unagi dispel that rumor and state here that he does indeed have the sword back in his hands. Else, there remains a mystery to be solved as Sprite claims he does not have the weapon.

Jak O'Swords
No quotes necessary
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Aug 2003 12:27:51 EDT

"You've also made assumptions that because I do not personally claim Unagi
Miyamoto as a friend and comrade that my interest in his blade is somehow
less worthy than your interest in it"

That's because your interest is less worthy than my interest. Logic should tell you that.

"Near as I can remember, I've not questioned why you want the blade, so I'm at
a loss to understand, "Cas", why you feel the need to challenge my (or anyone
else's) interest in it."

Because I can.

That, and I know everyone else who bid, and have a pretty decent idea as to why they wanted the sword.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Aug 2003 15:39:51 EDT

"That, and I know everyone else who bid, and have a pretty decent idea as to why they wanted the sword."

Sure is nice to know what everyone's thinking and to feel safe you can speak for them, Cas. I might as well give it a try:

Unagi's embarassed to have you, of all people, try to recover the sword in the name of his honor and to wonder just how your morbid interest in his sword is more relevant than others.

Here's what *I* think:

Unagi's one of the most proven duelists in these rings. If he wants it that bad, he will either say, "Bakufu Cas, please return my blade to me. Domo," or he will fetch it himself.

Var Medici-Giovanni
Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Aug 2003 20:11:47 EDT

<< Here's what *I* think:

Unagi's one of the most proven duelists in these rings. >>

Here is what *I* think:

Unagi is a cold blooded killer who had no reason to murder Kateri for selling something in her own possession.

I pity whoever has it in their possession for it is the blade of a dishonorable man.

Sprite Argo
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:03 pm

Date: 13 Aug 2003 23:03:18 EDT

"Here is what *I* think: "

Do us all a favor and don't think. Your ignorance speaks for itself.