The Baron's Council has been called

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:26 am

Date: 11 Dec 2003 00:56:34 EST

"Temoporary banishments. You do not, however banish someone upon their return to the duels after years of leave. That is the point. Methous was banished temporarily. "

No, he wasn't.

He wasn't allowed to challenge or gather peer wins (if I recall correctly) until he beat a council appointed champion, which was chosen every cycle before he pressed challenge. Don't think just because he disappeared from the Arena for a few years that it was Goldendust's decree. That was his own choice.

Var Medici-Giovanni
Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:26 am

Date: 11 Dec 2003 02:05:05 EST

Sprite,

I suggest you actually read the copy of Goldendust's letter Chris placed on the cork. Methous is allowed to duel, he is not allowed to receive peer wins on his record or challenge without defeating the champion chosen by the Barons' Council. Let him put his money where mouth is and step into the ring.

Colleen

G.

I agree... good thing Sprite is not in charge.

C.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:27 am

Date: 11 Dec 2003 02:33:53 EST

>
>It ain't?

No. It isn't. It could be worse. I don't know what types of people you see hanging out in the Arena, but it's nothing like a seedy bar in the worst section of the cities.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 11 Dec 2003 02:40:30 EST

>Temoporary banishments. You do not, however banish someone upon their return
>to the duels after years of leave. That is the point. Methous was banished
>temporarily.

As two others have already said, you're wrong. You should read the official notes and histories before making the statement that are easily available.

Methous was never banished from the Arena. There have only been three people who were ever banned from the duels for any period of time. And they deserved it also. Draven, Zaradda, and Guill. In my opinion, Methous still got off easy compared to the others crimes.

Methous was still allowed to compete, just never challenge unless passing the test he has been punished with. Banishment was never a punishment issued, though many definitely wanted it.

His leaving was of his own choice. His return was of his own choice. Self banishment is not any more a punishment than a child breaking a dish on purpose then telling his mother he'll go think about what he's done. It doesn't stop the mother from using her own discipline. Unless she's too soft, which then leads the child to figure he can get away with it.

You cannot be too soft on people who are willing to do whatever they want. Punishment is needed. And so is retribution.

Do the crime, prepare to do the time. Methous hasn't done his time yet. And he will not be released from prison until he beats the Councils champion. When that happens, then his punishment will be ended. Until then, he is still serving his time.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 12 Dec 2003 01:47:21 EST

Methous was not able to duel for a month after destroying the ring.

Sprite.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 12 Dec 2003 04:18:29 EST

>Methous was not able to duel for a month after destroying the ring.
>

Banishment means never to return. Suspension is not banishment.

Want to try again?

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 12 Dec 2003 06:26:01 EST

Banishment means never to return. Suspension is not banishment.

It is quite amusing when a small number of you gang up on somebody with a differing opinion and then attempt to bash him or her over the head by telling them just how wrong every sentence they write is. The only thing that makes that more amusing is when you are wrong and the bashee is right.

There is nothing in the definition of "banish" or "banishment" to suggest that it means to never return. Suspension and banishment are not mutually exclusive terms. For example, there are certain Native American tribes that banish tribal members for a period of time from their community for crimes against the community. When the period of banishment is over, they are accepted back into the community with open arms.

While suspension is probably a more accurate term when describing the official ruling, I am quite sure that Methous felt banished from the community due to the fact that nobody in the community wanted anything to do with him at the time. His long absence from the community would suggest that he felt such a banishment, not just a suspension from dueling.

Sprite, do not let them bully you into thinking that you are wrong. If that is the opinion you hold then continue to stand up and hold it. Far too many people around here get bullied into thinking like the sheep-like majority and then they just become boring and righteous which is the real tragedy of the dueling community.

Arane Ganderfald
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:28 am

Date: 12 Dec 2003 18:22:50 EST

Consider this please.

Why not have the Baron's Council revist the entire Methous situation? This, to me at least is what the Baron's Council should be about.

Either reaffirm the penalty, modify it, or pardon Methous and be done with this aspect of the issue.

Capt. Sneggle
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:29 am

Date: 13 Dec 2003 02:31:20 EST

Arane,

Methous destroyed something that in a sense belonged to the entire community. He destroyed a piece of history. Some people do not forgive such a thing easily.

It was Sprite that opened himself to what he received by telling someone else, Nych, that his opinion was out of line. When he gets the clue that the opinions of others be Nych's, G's, yours, or mine matter just as much as his own then maybe he will find himself engaged in civil debate instead of having the opinions of others shoved down his throat to return the favor he so graciously offered.

Colleen
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Dec 2003 02:33:28 EST

>>Sprite, do not let them bully you into thinking that you are wrong. If that is the opinion you hold then continue to stand up and hold it. Far too many people around here get bullied into thinking like the sheep-like majority and then they just become boring and righteous which is the real tragedy of the dueling community.
<<

Arane...

One more thought.. Sprite is entitled to his opinion... I grant you that. An opinion is neither right nor wrong, however, the information it is based upon may not be correct.

Colleen
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Dec 2003 05:01:12 EST

>Why not have the Baron's Council revist the entire Methous situation? This,
>to me at least is what the Baron's Council should be about.
>
>Either reaffirm the penalty, modify it, or pardon Methous and be done with
>this aspect of the issue.

How about no.

The situation, technically, is revisited at the end of every cycle when Methous must face a Champion voted upon by the council when we uphold the correct punishment applied at the time his crime was committed. As a "Military" man, you should understand that you don't just up and redecide if punishment is still needed. Punishment will no longer be needed when Methous actually defeats a chosen champion of the Council.

So, there's no need to revisit any judgements.

And Arane, sorry, but Banishment and Suspended are two completely different things. Completely. Especially in the Arena where it isn't on Native American soil. Also, I'm not bullying Sprite, I'm telling him his facts are in severe error, and that he should have researched the punishment before responding that Methous was banished for years.

Simple as that.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Dec 2003 11:34:48 EST

When it comes down to it, Methous destroyed something that is only a symbol to this community. Its the title more than the ring that drives duelers to want to wear it. The jewelery was replaced to no great effort. Its not like a baron's ring is some prized draconic orb that has been enchanted by powerful magics of old by now gone wizards. In short, get over the drama of it all and let the dude fight someone to earn his right to challenge again and be done with it.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:30 am

Date: 13 Dec 2003 15:32:07 EST

>> In short, get over the drama of it all and let the dude fight someone to earn his right to challenge again and be done with it.
<<

E.

I not disputing Methous facing a champion. That was the ruling by Goldendust Evermeadow and let it be done. I'm disputing Sprite, who shoved his opinion down the throats of others, telling people they are out of line for expressing their opinions. He can't have it both ways.

By the way, I haven't checked the histories, did he destroy a ring you ever wore on your finger?

Collie
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Dec 2003 15:34:18 EST

>>I'm telling him his facts are in severe error, and that he should have researched the punishment before responding that Methous was banished for years.
<<

G.

Exactly, the facts on which Sprite based his opinion were incorrect.

Collie
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Dec 2003 20:30:24 EST

"Keeping someone from dueling for something that happened years ago is out of
the question."

I'm at a loss at what exactly was just expressed here: It's either crowning proof of Sprite's relative newness, or evidence that respect for the bloodsport is in fact dead.

Cassius Gaius Maximius