The Baron's Council has been called

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

The Baron's Council has been called

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:23 am

Date: 04 Dec 2003 00:56:48 EST

The following is a copy of a letter sent to the Baron's Council this evening. To clarify, this ruling was passed on August 26th, 1999.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Barons and Overlord,

Unfortunatly, a matter has come up which needs to be brought to your attention. Many years ago, one Methous blatantly disregarded all history of the Arena and destroyed the Eighth Baronial ring. Following the henious act, Goldendust Evermeadow passed a ruling that Methous could not challenge for a title until he defeated a champion appointed by the Baron's council.

Thankfully, Hubie and Al have done a good job in keeping the Supervisor's desk in order, and I was able to find a copy of the original ruling. That is attached to this letter for those who do not remember or were not around at that time.

The matter to appoint a champion to face Methous is now in your hands. Shakira, please lead the council in this matter. Please do not include Methous on the letters concerning this selection. Shakira, please inform myself, the standings keeper, and Methous when a champion has been selected. This champion may be any duelist.

Chris Graziano

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
::attatched is a copy of Goldendust's original ruling::

Warlord Methous,

I am certain you were expecting this letter from me. I will try to be brief, but please forgive any rambling I may go on.

You have committed what I consider to be a grievious injustice. In my eyes, the Baron Rings are the most tangible items of the illustrious history of the Duel of Swords that are in existence. Many great men and women before us have worn them, and they will continue to be tokens of greatness and respect. Your actions in the destruction of the Eighth Baron's Ring are as far from those ideals as I can imagine. And so, you wlil be punished for your
actions.

I have heard many suggestions, from those on the Council to commoners and all those in between. Many call out for your outright banishment from the dueling rings permanently. That was never something I've considered, just to let you know.

You have shown great disrespect and apathy towards these sacred Baron's Rings. The history of the Eighth Ring will forever be marred with your actions. And thus, I see it only fitting to ensure that you do not have the opportunity to repeat your deeds. It is my hope that you will learn a valuable lesson from this punishment, and if you ever gain the chance to challenge for a title again, you keep it in mind. That said, the terms of your
punishment are as follows:

Starting today, August 23, and lasting for a period of approximately three months, Methous will not be given the opportunity to challenge for a title, be that Baron or Overlord. This banishment from challenging will last until the end of the next cycle, on or about November 30. During those three months, any victories Methous obtains against those of Warlord rank or higher will not be considered peer wins. This does not hold true for those Warlords who defeat him, as those will be considered peer wins. Methous may retain his rank of Warlord, but cannot advance beyond that. After the three months have expired, which will be on or about November 30, he will be subjected to a test. If he passes this test, he will once again be able to garner peer wins and challenge for a title.
To elaborate on this test, it will be a one match duel. The opponent will be one selected by the Council of Barons and those members that it consists of at that time. Two to three weeks before November 30, these Barons will gather and elect a Champion for Methous to face, of any rank of their choosing. On a side note to the Barons, it may be sweet justice to allow the holder of the Eighth Ring at that time to face Methous in this test...just a suggestion. If Methous defeats the Champion, then, as stated, he can begin garnering peer wins and challenge at his leisure. If however, the Champion is successful, then Methous will once more fall under the banishment of not being able to challenge, although he may begin accumulating peer wins. In this latter scenario, Methous must wait three more months, another cycle, before facing another test and another Council appointed Champion. These
tests will happen in three month intervals at the end of cycles until Methous wins one of these matches and lifts the ban from himself.
On a final note, Methous may enter Warlord Tournaments during this time of punishment, but is not eligible to claim any prizes, no matter what place he finishes in.

I will wait to hear back from any concerned parties and correct any errors or answer any questions before posting this declaration. I have no problems with those receiving this missive to speak to others about it, I simply wish to make sure that the terms of punishment are clear before posting for all to see. I await any replies.

Golden Evermeadow
Duel of Swords Supervisor
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:23 am

Date: 05 Dec 2003 11:47:42 EST

This issue hasn't been talked about for years. Why is it being brought up now?

Deluthan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:24 am

Date: 05 Dec 2003 14:40:36 EST

>This issue hasn't been talked about for years. Why is it being brought up
>now?

Because Methous is back and likely wants to challenge again.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Dec 2003 18:11:34 EST

For reference, I am voting that G stand in and challenge Methous' right to challenge, should he accept it.

Var Medici-Giovanni
Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 09 Dec 2003 01:33:23 EST

:;reads, ponders, jots a note::

Were I in charge, I would refuse his right to duel period but since I am just eaves dropping, I will remain on the sidelines,
Nych
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 09 Dec 2003 16:09:40 EST

>Were I in charge, I would refuse his right to duel period but since I am
>just eaves dropping, I will remain on the sidelines,
>Nych

Hello there, Nych.

I would normally agree with this, however, the reason we have to vote on this is due to the ruling by one of the previous supervisors. Even if you were in charge, you would be held by honor to give the wretch his chance.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:25 am

Date: 09 Dec 2003 22:16:07 EST

You are out of line, and you know it, Nych. Your comment was not productive and as you stated, you're not in charge.

Sprite Argo.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 09 Dec 2003 23:40:29 EST

Sprite,

I do believe Nych said IF he was in charge. He is entitled to his opinion as a member of the community as you are. If only members of the Baron's Council are allowed to do so, that counts you out as well, does it not?

Colleen MacLeod
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Dec 2003 00:41:13 EST

Colleen,
Not only do you believe it, but he did indeed say it. Keeping someone from dueling for something that happened years ago is out of the question. Especially when a punishment has already been placed upon them.

Also, I did not say he was out of line for having the opinion. He is out of line for suggesting that someone shouldn't be able to duel years after an incident. Reading the punishment past on Methous, I see that he was allowed to duel at the time of the offense, but now Nych suggests that he shouldn't be allowed to duel at all?

If anything, it is good that Nych is not in charge. Otherwise I might not be able to duel after disagreeing with him.

Sprite.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Dec 2003 01:10:22 EST

Sprite,
Nych wasn't (and probably still isn't) the only one to think Methous should be banished from dueling completely. Just because he's the only one with the stones to say it means he's out of line.
Personally, I support the decision Goldendust made years ago; I support it not only because of the end result eventually being fair but also because he didn't make a rash decision as I would have. What happened that evening was despicable, both what Aspen and what Methous did. If I were in Goldendust's position, I probably would have had the same inclination as Nych; Methous lost my sympathies when he destroyed the ring.
But it's a good thing I'm not in charge, either, huh? That's why we have a baron's council. And that's why Methous' actions were so wrong when he destroyed the ring instead of letting the Council make a ruling. We have the council so one such person can't decide the fate of the Baronial Rings himself or herself.

Var Medici-Giovanni
Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Dec 2003 01:13:49 EST

Quite a good thing, Var.

Sprite
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Dec 2003 01:17:34 EST

Probably good thing Sprite's not in charge, too.

We'd have everyone doing whatever the hell they pleased whenever they pleased, and the Arena would be no better than a seedy bar that noone but the scum of the city goes to.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:26 am

Date: 10 Dec 2003 02:33:49 EST

Many people have done things throughout the Swords history to warrant lifetime banishment ((OOC too)). Its only fair that at least temporary banishments are given with a chance for the community to let the dust settle, let time heal wounds and come back to revisit an issue to see what should come next. Its also fair that there is a group who makes a voting decision on the issue and its only fair that everyone get a chance to voice their opinion about the issue so that those who do get a vote have an idea what the community as a whole thinks of a situation. It is not fair to blast someone for that opinion or throw out comments about what he or she would do like a tyrant in opposition to someone else's opinion.

Say your piece on the issue, leave out the comments on what others had to say about the issue, as in attacking the persons, not the issues.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Dec 2003 11:58:41 EST

>We'd have everyone doing whatever the hell they pleased whenever they
>pleased, and the Arena would be no better than a seedy bar that noone but the
>scum of the city goes to.

It ain't?
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Dec 2003 19:52:11 EST

"Many people have done things throughout the Swords history to warrant lifetime banishment ((OOC too)). Its only fair that at least temporary banishments are given with a chance for the community to let the dust settle, let time heal wounds and come back to revisit an issue to see what should come next. Its also fair that there is a group who makes a voting decision on the issue and its only fair that everyone get a chance to voice their opinion about the issue so that those who do get a vote have an idea what the community as a whole thinks of a situation. It is not fair to blast someone for that opinion or throw out comments about what he or she would do like a tyrant in opposition to someone else's opinion."

Temoporary banishments. You do not, however banish someone upon their return to the duels after years of leave. That is the point. Methous was banished temporarily.

Sprite