a beginning of an end

Read-only archive for the Duel of Magic
DoM Archive
Archivist

a beginning of an end

Post by DoM Archive » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:20 pm

Date: 1/18/99 3:22 PM Eastern Standard Time

Luna headed home after a horrible night of dueling. Her dueling wasn't so bad, it was what happened before she stepped in the ring. She faded from view and the next thing she saw was her life flashing before her eyes. She was seriously disturbed then and the traces remained as she pondered what it could mean.
She got no further in her thought when a familiar image appeared before her. "Hello Darien. What's the reason for this little chat? Not that I'm glad, but you usually only show up when there's trouble in my future." Personally, she hated these little chats. Darien was always so self-rightous, telling her what to do because he felt it would be for the greater good. She wondered what stunt he was going to pull this time.
"Luna, as you know, Ally, Seth, you and I are the last people from our homeland. I include Seth because you created him and therefore, he's a Mask in blood if not in spirit. I've been doing some thinking latelyand I feel that it would be best if we all went to stay with everyone else. That way we can be happy and at peace, forever." He knew she wasn't going to like this, so he stopped here to let her voice her complaints before he explained any
more.
"Wait a minuit! You want Seth and I to die just so you can be happy? We have lives here and we're not just going to give them up just because you're still unhappy that I fought while you hid!" He had finally gone off the deep end. This was way beyond his usual depressed self. But still, to have the gall to ask that....
"There's more. I would let life run its normal course, but the actions of Seth made me remember an incident from several years ago. Remember how there was a breakaway faction that went out on their own?"
What was he talking about, Luna wondered. "Yes, I remember that, but what does that have to do with our present situation?"
"Everything. Those renegades rejected the royal family's guidance and eventually dabbled in evil arts. I'm afraid that's what's going to happen if you have children. Without the family's giudance, they may turn to evil ways and unleash evil deeds more horrible than anything Seth could do. I don't want even the threat of anything that evil to exist, that's all."
"But why can't I teach them? I can do just as good a job as the royal family!" Her voice faltered a bit as she spoke out. His point struck a chord deep within her.
"Just like you did a good job of teaching Seth? I'm afraid not. You tried your best, but is wasn't enough. I'll give you the night to think about it. But no matter what you decide, the threat of the Mask legacy must be eliminated." He faded out of sight, leaving Luna to continue her walk home.
She moved on, wondering what to do. Should she and Seth die to protect future generations? She shook her head. No, it wasn't worth killing just to protect against a possible threat. But her vision, what about that? Did that mean that she would die no matter what choice she made?
DoM Archive
Archivist

the good of the many, or the few?

Post by DoM Archive » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:22 pm

Date: 1/19/99 1:00 AM Eastern Standard Time

Luna sat on her bed, preparing to get a good nights sleep when Darien's image once again appeared before her. "Well Luna, have you made a decision?" He didn't care what she said, either way, the Mask line was ending soon.
She looked at him, trying to be as brave and confident as possible. "Yes, I have. I won't do it. You can't just go killing people to stop something that may not even happen. I just won't be a part of it."
"What would you rather have happen, the possibility of legions of evil running unchecked, or the certainty that they'll never be created? Not that it matters. Either way, i will win."
She knew that he never was going to listen to reason, he was too deep in this mindset, but she had to try. "How, by killing Ally, Seth, and myself? I doubt Seth would take the news very lightly. He'd probably freak out and go nuts."
Darien smiled, this was going to be fun explaining his master plan to her. "Ally is already dead. I killed her myself this morning. She understood my reasoning and did what was necessary for the good of the many. I told Seth what I told you, but I also told him that you agreed to my wishes and were gto kill him. So he thinks he'll survive by getting you first. Good luck trying to stop him. The only way to is to kill him. But could you? I just
don't think you have that killer instinct. If all goes well, you two should end up killing each other. Then we will all be together. Hope to see you soon."
With that, Luna saw him put a gun to his head and pull the trigger, leaving just two Masks left. "I won't let it happen Darien. I'll find a way to stop Seth without killing either of us."
DoM Archive
Archivist

the end of a mage?

Post by DoM Archive » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:23 pm

Date: 1/20/99 12:17 AM Eastern Standard Time

Luna walked along the mountain road with a sense of purpose. She knew that Seth would be waiting for her and that trying to talk wouldn't work this time. She rounded teh corner and saw him standing there at the front gate, just as she predicted. "Well Seth, I guess there's no way to avoid this. You won't listen to reason and I'm not going to die that easily."
Seth stood there, his usual arrogant manner still intact."C'mon sis, remember the last time we fought? I tore you apart without even trying. So are you ready to die?" he assumed his fighting stance and powered up for the first attack.
Seth unleashed his shockwave assault, sending waves of sound crashing into her. But Luna stood there, grimacing as if she was concentrating, but not in pain. "Well, i'll be a monkey's uncle! Old dogs can learn new tricks. But it won't save you. You can't keep doing it forever." He increased the frequency of his attacks, keeping Luna on the defensive. Above him, the entire castle began to shake from the sonic barrage.
Luna continued to stand there, morphing the sound molecules into air before they could reach her. But he was right, she couldn't keep doing it forever. She had to find some way to get on the offensive.
Around the both of them, the castle began to quiver violently. Soon, pieces of it started to crash down around them. Luna got an idea. it was risky, but it was the only way she could get out of this alive. She let herself get hit with a blast and at the same time, caused the castle to fall, crushing Seth in the process.
What she didn't expect was that the blast was so powerful, it knocked her over the cliff. She was too weak form all the morphing to do more than cushion her fall just a little bit, landing with a sickening thud. As her life flashed before her eyes, she reflected on the past few days. The vision had come true, for she was dying now. Darien was right, there would be no more Mask family, but he was still wrong about one thing. The soul is a unique
form of energy, incapable of being destroyed. As long as she commit herself to going to the gates of heaven, she could still remain, if only in spirit. But did she want to? It would be so nice to see mom and dad again. Maybe she could find some peace now........
Luna's body was found the next day by people investigating the remains of the castle. She was placed next to Seth's crushed remains and given a burial service. But there were two unexplained things that the villagers found. On Luna's body they found a rose, as red as the dawn. The other thing was that the only thing left standing where the castle was the statue of the king of Luna's former kingdom. and on that day, the statue shed a tear, for while a Mask cannot live forever, their ideals can last for eternity.
DoM Archive
Archivist

A reincarnation of sorts.

Post by DoM Archive » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:25 pm

Date: 1/25/99 9:07 PM Eastern Standard Time

Pine sat at his workbench, sorting through the necessary bills he owed and jobs to do. As he looked through them, he came upon a note stating the death of one Luna Mask. He was overcome by grief at this, not because he liked her, but because she was his most frequent client. Without her, Pine's Messanger and Odd Jobs would have folded months ago.
He wondered what he would do now. Fold up and try to get a real job or keep going and slowly fade away? He decided to sleep on it and put away his papers as he prepared to settle down for the night. He slept soundly and awoke suddenly in the middle of the night as he heard a strange noise. At the foot of his bed was Luna, although she did seem a bit pale. "I thought you were dead?"
She smiled. He always did have a knack for the obvious. "As someone put it, the reports of my death were not exagerated. I am dead, but before my spirit can rest, I have one last job for you. In return, I'll give you quite a bit."
Maybe this could keep him solvent for a few more months. Whatever the job was, he knew it was worth a lot, for when she said quite a bit, it was often a hefty sum of money. "ok, what do I have to do?"
"Just touch my hand, Pine. You'll know then what you have to do." She held out her hand and waited for him. He reached out cautiously, but did touch her hand. As soon as he did, a white light flashed in front of him and then everything went black.
When he awoke the next morning, he ate breakfast and went to freshen up in front of the mirror. As soon as he looked at his image, he screamed so loud that the windows cracked. He was so shocked and scared at his current visage that he forged an iron mask so that none could see the horror. After he finished, images flashed through his mind and a small voice talked to him. It was Luna, somehow telling him what had happened. He listened taking in
all the details. It seems that he had agreed to become the next Mask, a repository of their values and ideals. With them came all sorts of unwanted trash, such as all of Luna's memories and experiences. it also seemed that she had taken up permanent residence in his subconcious, giving him advice and acting as a concience.
Slowly, the full scope of what he needed to acomplish dawned on him. He was to become the first of a new line of Masks, bringing forth justice and to everywhere he went. The thought of such a task did present quite a challenge, so he created a suit to go with his iron mask. "Now," he whispered, "it is time for me to become a champion of all things the Masks held dear. I am their Legacy, everything they hoped to accomplish." With that he set
out into the world with a new sense of purpose.