Red Orc Brewery

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Red Orc Brewery

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:36 pm

Date: 8/15/1997 3:42 AM Central Standard Time

Grand Opening

The orc peered at the sign with satisfaction. It was good to be finally getting things open for business. He'd been scrounging around Rhydin too long without any source of income. There just didn't seem to be anyone interested in subjugating nearby towns anymore.
With a final adjustment to properly center the sign, Jake turned back to the counter to make sure the bell was working and to dust off the countertop before setting out several mugs for patrons to sample his latest brews. The orc figured it was about time that Rhydin had something to drink besides that awful dwarven stuff floating around.
Jake was especially pleased with the latest batch of Bane's Brew. Admittedly it wasn't really an orcish ale, but it was good anyway. It was a shame that Siera wasn't still around to try the stuff that had been made in her memory. Jake was sure that she would have liked it. Jake poured himself a mug of the brew and raised it in salute to her. "To glorious war and lots of ale!" he said to no one in particular and downed the mug.

Satisfied that all was in readiness, Jake settled down and made himself busy peering at invoices and inventory notes while waiting for his first customer.

Posted on the sign:

RED ORC BREWERY
---------------------------------
Orcish Black Ale - 50 Silver Nobles
Orcish Red Ale - 45 Silver Nobles
Goblin Raspberry Brew - 50 Silver Nobles
Goblin Summer Brew - 40 Silver Nobles
***On Special***
Bane's Brew - 40 Silver Nobles
---------------------------------
All prices based on the keg

((Author's Note: Cross posted in the Rhydin Martketplace Folder))
DoF Archive
Archivist

Stopping In...

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:41 pm

Date: 8/15/1997 2:52 PM Central Standard Time

The felinoid was on her way back from seeing Aidenn and passing along the early warning system for the Starbike Enterprise when she paused in her trip through the Marketplace at a new sign in the lane ahead of her. It made her dark lips curl into grin and a soft chuff of laughter soon followed the expression. "Finally opened it up, did he?"

She made her way around the wares of other merchants and an empty barrel or two to slip silently forward and lean against the counter. She wasn't rich from her DoF pay, but she had a few coins to spare and hadn't had a drink in a while. "Okay," she murmured to herself, "Let's see how the service is in this place."

With a twinkle in her eye, she tapped the bell several times and called out, "H'bout some Summer Brew out here, eh?? The day's not getting any cooler!"
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re:Red Orc Brewery

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:43 pm

Date: 8/15/1997 9:15 PM Central Standard Time

::reads the list, frowning::

Why no have Demon Rum? Demon Rum lot good! Goblin drink yuck!

Goon
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:45 pm

Date: 8/16/1997 12:30 AM Central Standard Time

Jake heard the bell ringing and wandered out front to find out who was clamoring for "Summer Brew." "Yeah, yeah, I'm comin' hold on to yer ..." he stopped on seeing the familiar feline form. Breaking into a smile Jake said, "Well, well, Hiya Kyttn. So ya' want some of Mojo's Summer Brew huh? Gimme just a minute."
Scrounging for a moment under the bar, Jake pulled out a clean mug and poured out some of the Goblin Summer Brew. Turning back to the counter, Jake smiled once again and gestured about as he set the mug down in front of her. "I hope you like it. I guess you can see that I finally got the place set up for business. Even had a couple of orders come in already. I think business might be good."
Jake poured himself a mug of the orcish black and raised the mug in a brief salute, "To success and profit."
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Demon Rum

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:47 pm

Date: 8/16/1997 12:37 AM Central Standard Time

Jake blinked at the sudden appearance of Goon, wondering how he managed to appear out of nowhere like that. "Demon Rum?"
Jake realized that he had instinctively reached for his sword and was grateful he'd taken it off while working. He looked at Goon and chuckled. "Never heard of Demon Rum. It doesn't sound like an orcish ale. I guess you could try the Inn, but I think if you gave the Orcish Black a try you'd find that you never went back to wimpier drinks."
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:48 pm

Date: 8/17/1997 1:43 AM Central Standard Time

Tis walked to the counter and looked over the list. He knocked on the counter softly. "Jake? You back there? I never got those 5 kegs of Black..." Tis sighed. "Maybe I could get just one keg of your finest Bane's Brew?"
Tis rumaged through his pockets, and finally pulled out a $100 bill. "I ain't got any nobles, will this do?"
DoF Archive
Archivist

Gotta Wonder 'bout Dem Wolves

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:50 pm

Date: 8/17/1997 7:48 AM Central Standard Time

"You sound like a Ferengi!" The felinoid quipped at the toast Jake made, but she drank with him, not sure if he would know what she meant or not. It tickled her to be there, pleased her to see him on the road to success with something he'd wanted to do for a while and she didn't even taste that first sip of the Summer brew.

There were several things she thought of saying, but an old adage ran through her head. *Shaking the ale only makes it flat.* She simply smiled instead and sipped the ale again savoring the flavor this time and the company of her longtime friend. It occured to Kyttn that she *would* ask Jake about his journey to the misty isle later, however. While her anger, reasonable or no, had abated long ago now, her curiosity about where he'd been and what he'd done while gone certainly hadn't.

She blinked, setting the mug down to study it. "Well, dayuhm that goblin's got a few good notions after all, eh? I like this.. " She propped her fists on her hips a moment.

Goon's sudden appearance startled her as much as it had Jake. The fur on her neck lay back down when she saw who it was, wondering how he'd sneaked in so quietly. She hadn't missed that familiar reach of Jake's arm for his sword. She wondered where he'd hidden 'Death', but reasoned that business would be difficult with a merchant who boasted a side arm like that. She grinned at the exchange over the varieties of ale.

When Ian wandered in, Kyttn blinked at him and chuffed in humor. "Must need glasses.. it's that garou eyesight," she murmured and gathered up the tasty Brew again. "This is on the house, right Jake?" Her eyes glittered even as she slid the Nobles to pay for it across the counter, not expecting an answer to that question since Ian had a business deal and money in hand. She was also well aware that she might not be the only dueller who'd be looking for a free drink in the heated marketplace.

She sipped the summer brew and wondered where the lil mischief maker who'd come up with it's flavor was hiding. Well, there was no rush to get home to the Willow just now, so she decided to watch and listen a bit.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:51 pm

Date: 8/17/1997 11:01 AM Central Standard Time

::squints at Jake:: No hear Demon Rum? Demon Rum lot good! Got find, make lot money!

::looks at the sign with the drinks:: Say orc drink thing good, give Goon try!

::pulls out a couple of shiny, silver-colored things:: ::stares at the sign:: ::stares at the things in his hand:: ::shrugs and hands them to Jake::
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:52 pm

Date: 8/17/1997 7:25 PM Central Standard Time

::After sitting and waiting in the arena for too long, he finally got a duel with Nova. Very unsure as how to open, he decided on the disengage. The low cut from Nova tripped him up good. Ready to start the duel, he heard several voices shouting to 'dis again Rand.' "Why not?" he thought. So, another dis, and another cut by Nova. More shouts, more disses, more cuts. Finally, after five rounds, with the score 4-0 Nova, he asked Nova to thrust. Obligingly, Nova thrust, and Rand's sixth disengage in
a row scored an advantage. Then, Rand attempted a comeback, and managed to last 4 rounds, and take the score to 5-2.5. After a laugh, he went to sit down. For some reason, he didn't feel like dueling anymore, at least not then. With a smile and a wave for the patrons, Rand left the Arena and started walking and thinking. Before he knew it, a knew sight caught his eye, Jake's sign. With a smile, he turned to enter, wondering if it was just to bandy words with Jake, or if he was actually going to try
some::
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:55 pm

Date: 8/17/1997 10:24 PM Central Standard Time

Wandering along the streets, Ryan glanced up to see the sign above the entrance to the Brewery. "Been a long time since I've seen that word" he thought. Orc....he hadn't seen any familiar faces or shapes in a long time, besides humans...orcs, trolls, or elves. Maybe he was still disoriented, or maybe he was just trying to adjust to his new home too quickly. Absentmindedly, he brushed his fingers over the tips of his ears. The edges where the synthetic skin had been applied were slightly
ragged...they would soon peel away, revealing his true genetic category. "Just as well....it's not as if I'm on assignment...." He chuckled at the thought. It was a real loss, being away from his own world, or time, or whatever. "But," he pondered, "at least I ended up in a place where I can be myself.... finally."

The first thing he noticed as he walked in was the pungent smell of various brews on display. He glanced around, seeing Goon drinking his Orcish Black Ale with relish, Tis standing at the bar looking a bit worse for wear with a slip of paper in his hand, yelling to the back about his barrels of ale, and why wasn't Jake answering? Smiling, he reached into his pocket, and sighed as he remembered that Rhydin doesn't recognize UCAS currency, at least not in credstick form. Oh well, maybe he could trade it
in for some usable currency. Reaching into the inside pocket of his trenchcoat, he pulled out a pouch of coins, hefting them as he yelled "Barkeep, soon as your done doing business with Ian, mind getting me an Orcish Black?" Sitting down, he rested his head on his folded arms, closed his eyes, and took in the sounds and smells of the place. Yeah, he could get used to living here....
DoF Archive
Archivist

Tis' black ale...

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:57 pm

Date: 8/18/1997 5:54 PM Central Standard Time

Wandering back into the front to see yet more business, the orc grinned as he recognized the patron. "Welcome Tis, nice t' see ya' again. Sorry, I haven't gotten around to sending the black ale over yet. It's been busy getting the shop set up." The orc wiped his hands off on a spare rag and fetch a mug of orcish black for Tis and headed back towards the back, "I'll be back in just a moment."
When the orc returned he was carrying a keg of Bane's Brew which he set down on the floor next to the counter. After eyeing the paper money dubiously, the orc accepted it and handed Tis back approximately 60 silver nobles, "Don't spend them all in one place. Did you want those kegs of black ale still? I can have them sent by your place if you are willing to pick up the tab for the wagon."
DoF Archive
Archivist

Goontalk

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:58 pm

Date: 8/18/1997 5:58 PM Central Standard Time

Jake wasn't sure exactly what Goon had said, but when he saw the coins he figured that he must have liked the ale. Taking only a couple of the silver coins, the orc offered Goon another mug of the black. "Would you care to try any of the other brands? I've got lots of Orcish Red on tap as well." Setting the mug down in front Goon, the orc turned to his next customer...
DoF Archive
Archivist

Kyttns and Goblin Brews

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:01 pm

Date: 8/18/1997 6:07 PM Central Standard Time

... Jake wondered what a Ferengi was bought didn't comment on it as Kyttn announced her like of the goblin brew. The orc smiled, "I'm sure Mojo will be pleased that you like it. He'd probably send you as much as you could ever want and then some." The orc rolled his eyes as he remembered the horde of goblins that had been in the brewery a week ago making an absolute disaster in the back as they made large quantities of everything.
When Kyttn pushed the coins toward him, the orc politely pushed them back, "of course on the house..." He wondered what the felinoid had been up to since he'd been away, but thought she looked fit and figured she'd been alright. Someday he'd have to remember to tell her about the adventure he'd been on. He frowned for a moment remembering the grim events, but then went back to smiling as he pushed it away for now. Another time perhaps....
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:04 pm

Date: 8/18/1997 6:11 PM Central Standard Time

Jake spied Rand lurking in the doorway and grinned, "Hey pretzelboy, quit blocking the doorway. If yer gonna come in, come in." The orc chuckled remembering their duel of the other night. It had been good to see him even if he seemed to be awfully out of practice. Of course the orc would never admit it was good to see him. Too much fun taunting him.
The orc poured out a mug of his Bane's Brew and set it on the counter for Rand in case he should work up his courage to try it.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Red Orc Brewery & Tavern?

Post by DoF Archive » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:06 pm

Date: 8/18/1997 6:27 PM Central Standard Time

((Author's note.... ::chuckles:: Guess I may have to make it Red Orc Brewery & Tavern...))

The orc heard the call for black ale and came out of the back once more to see the figure slumped over at the table. Jake blinked at that for a moment. When had the goblin ordered a table and chairs? The orc shrugged and fetch a mug off the shelf poured a draft of black ale. Wandering around the counter and setting it on the table for the new customer Jake commented, "Welcome to Red Orc Brewery, I don't think we've met before. I'm Jake. It's a silver for the ale."
After making sure the patron was all right, the orc headed towards the back to finish setting up the next batch of Bane's Brew. It looked like business was going to be good, he'd have to tell the goblin to order more supplies..