((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook))

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook))

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:25 pm

Date: 1/21/1998 11:51 PM Central Daylight Time

In order to provide necessary information, each folder will be allowed one Guestbook thread, for the purpose of dealing with scene setting and storyline discussion. Any other threads or OOC information not placed within this folder will be removed.

This is the *only* authorized OOC Thread in this folder.

Author's Notes and Editorial remarks may still be used as needed but any other OOC posting outside of this one thread will be removed. Posts that do not fall within the following guidelines will be removed:

Examples of what MAY be included:
Timeline and setting information.
Questions from readers regarding storyline confusion or clarification.
Fan mail regarding the story (excluding any harsh criticism which should be directed to the author via email).
Information on how to join the storyline.
Copyright notices.

Examples of what may NOT be included is:
OOC posts that advertise other folders' storylines.
Discussion on topics other than the storyline. OOC topics on anything other than the story in the folder may be discussed in Players Helping Players or Incoherent Thoughts, this is not the place for them.
Story- or character-bashing (Flaming).

Welcome to the FFGF Message Boards!

RDI Wolf
FFGF - Message Board Monitor
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook))

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:26 pm

Date: 2/12/1998 11:18 AM Central Daylight Time

<<Subject: Dawn of the NewDate: Mon, Feb 9, 1998 04:41 ESTFrom: TreeFellr>>Folks, I wanted to comment on this post by TreeFellr. Excellent stuff man... excellent. Keep it coming. Ash's player
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:26 pm

Date: 1/23/1998 4:22 PM Central Daylight Time

::chuckles;: Umm..not to take away from a debate but I hardly think the opinions of 3 people reflect the feelings of the other duelers in the DoF. I am not saying what Ryan says is not valid, I happen to agree that the Opals have been less visable then they sould be. But to think the matter "settled" is a bit pre-mature.

Ryan states that when he held the opal he did what he could to up the RP of the DoF. *That* is why we changed. Sadly other duelers have either fallen off from their duties as Opals or have never role played them to begin with. That is a matter of individual choice, that doesn't mean the system is faulty. I plan full well to role play my Opal as best as I can, that is a matter of my choice.

No Opal sits there forever, if you have a role play idea and think the Opal would suit your purpose then you should challenge to advance that cause. Ian was *not* the most visable Opal. Ian is a dear freind of mine but let us be honest he dueled maybe 2 times since getting his Opal. One of the reasons why I took him on. I felt that I could try and add some creative flavor to something that was essentially on the shelf.

Nova for his part was praised not but maybe a month ago for the great job he did. True Nova has not been around as much lately but he may have other issues he has to take care of. Let us not get a bad case of memory and say he is falling down on the job. Perhaps there is a reason for it?

If the people find the system faulty and wish to replace it then I will agree. It is senless to have an elborate system no one uses. But again we are talking about role play which varies as people's talents differ. Some will be active..others will be far more passive. You can't "force" role play out of people merely encourage it. Barring encouraging it step up to the bat yourself and have a go at it.

For people who see a "faulty" job being done by an emerald I would like to see those people step up and add their own flavor to the pot. Let's see what you can do before you take to hard a gander at your fellow players.

Robert's mun.

Peace,
RDI Tex
Duel of Fists
Team Leader
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:27 pm

Date: 1/23/1998 9:30 PM Central Daylight Time

::laughs:: I wasn't suggesting that we change the system, just try and find out why certain Opals weren't doing the job they could. And yes, I know that Ian wasn't very visible, just more than most. And yes, I do remember that Nova did quite a good job for the time that he was active. Something I also agree with is to go for an Opal if you think that the holder isn't doing such a good job, and if you can do better. But if Bob's reasons were
because of Ian's lack of RP, then he could have gone for Ulath or (maybe) Marz for that reason before Ian. Oh, and something I forgot to do, congratulate Mr. Tex....Good luck to ya Bobby, let's hope that ShadoWeaver serves you well, and vice versa. :)

Ryan's mun

"An optimist is someone without much life experience."Ryan Mercury
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:27 pm

Date: 1/24/1998 3:08 AM Central Daylight Time

My inability to be around as much is one of the reasons that I agreed to take whatever challenges were given me. For the record, I was only able to duel a total of 10 times (or so, as I don't have the numbers on me) last cycle, and a whopping total of zero times in this cycle. This has been discussed with certain persons, and I am currently undertaking certain steps that will be revealed at a later time.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:28 pm

Date: 1/24/1998 5:22 AM Central Daylight Time

A few reasons, I think, that may be why there is not that much participating.

1) DoF is not every players only playing field. Personally I enjoy time in RhyDin also.

2) Being on line every night when the Outback is open, is not every players idea of a good time.

3) Lots of players actually have people off line that they enjoy spending time with too.

4) Several Dueler's players are in school at one level or another and can't always have "late"nights without that suffering.

5) It's the cold and flu season. Humans do get sick occasionally

6) Many players play more than one character. Therefore they may be trying to shuffle times around so that they can do justice to all of them.

Okay I'll shut up now =)
Tera's player
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:28 pm

Date: 1/24/1998 1:40 PM Central Daylight Time

All of those points are valid, but the same answer to each reason keeps popping up in my mind: If you can't or won't devote a decent amount of time to RPing the Opal or Diamond, either forfeit it or don't fight for it in the first place. It's not just a trophy. If you can't be around to adequately roleplay your Opal, you shouldn't have in it the first place. Flu or cold, understood...that would mean absence for a week or so. But if you like
another duel? RPing elsewhere? Other character? If that hinders your ability to do the Opal justice, then you shouldn't have the Opal in the first place. Same goes for people in school. I'm personally looking forward to getting back to school when I finally get back home. But if I was *in* school and couldn't devote enough time to the Opal, I would have forfeited it at the drop of a hat. That's my opinion....

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:29 pm

Date: 1/24/1998 3:45 PM Central Daylight Time

Not that this really needs to be explained (nor should it really be questioned), but I'm sure you all really, really want to know where I've been:

1) I dropped out of the Diamond Quest after one match because I was sick and feeling worse the longer I sat upright. I had thought I could keep my commitment, duel for one duel, and be gone, but as the proceedings went into double elimination, I found that impossible.

2) Granted, the DQ was the last I even attempted DoF, and was in a long dry spell before that. I couldn't find the time... I work Friday nights, Wednesdays are mid-week for me and, until recently, I needed to be up by 8 am on Thursday and thanks to the late start of the duels, couldn't get the energy together to stay up and function on less than eight hours of sleep.

3) Due to recent complications with my character, Saturday nights were no good for stopping by to duel either. Saturday was the one night I really got a chance to pick RPing up to attempt to finish the countless hanging storylines I had. They have all been mostly resolved and, hopefully, a short time in the future, you'll see the results of one of those dealing in part with the use of the Blue Opal Icedancer written here on the boards.

I realize I haven't had a chance to RP the Opal in a long time, it needn't be pointed out. I'm proud of the time I put into it and I plan on putting much more into it in the near future, there are just some occasions where time off is needed and this was one of them. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

N/C
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:29 pm

Date: 1/24/1998 11:47 PM Central Daylight Time

If I may, I would like to make a simple comment...

DoF is only a game.

It's not life or death. The world does not revolve around it. It is merely an avenue for some interactive entertainment.

So step back, take a deep breath.... It's not worth an ulcer.

Ringo
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:30 pm

Date: 1/25/1998 12:09 AM Central Daylight Time

Never said it was Ringo. But these people that aren't showing up either should be or shouldn't have the Opals. Simple.

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:31 pm

Date: 1/25/1998 5:29 AM Central Daylight Time

Ryan,

Another point of view if I may...

Perhaps the current opals do indeed have other OOC matters to attend to. But they also might love the sport and their opal as much or more than you did yours. By keeping the ring for a time, even if inactive, they open the possibility of returning to a place they love with the ability to RP the opal they love. Everyone is allotted a vaction. Nova has been around far longer than you and I both, so have some of the others. Let's not be too hasty
to say "play or forfeit", in due time I should hope all Opals will make their presence felt. If this does not occur, someone can challenge them...that is why opals are challengable. If a patron really feels a change is needed, then they have every right to try and make that change come about.

But the point I wish to stress is that all opals, active now or not, should be given the opportunity (and by that I mean this community's support, not reprimand) to return and RP their opal that they hold dear, when OOC life makes such possible. If someone feels that the waiting for the return is unacceptable, challenge will be issued and that matter will be dealt with. Simple.

~J
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:31 pm

Date: 1/26/1998 2:28 AM Central Daylight Time

I agree with you Jeff, sometimes people do need time of for whatever reason, but there should be at least an attempt to post explaining the length and/or reason for the absence. And yes, the challenge is there, but we shouldn't have to force the Opals to RP by challenging them, and it's never certain that the challenger will win. A "play or forfeit" rule would be better for those that leave without explanation for months on end, as with Ulath. The
benefits of the Opals and Diamond are a privilege, not a right.

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:32 pm

Date: 1/26/1998 7:35 AM Central Daylight Time

There have been a lot of good points made here. Granted, many people may have other things going on. For example, I myself as either JLohman711 (Ruby) or XJakeTX (Sapphire) haven't been able to duel at all this cycle. This is due to many things. First, I am back in school (College) and have a night class that interferes with Wednesday nights. Also, I have my QKeep shift on Saturdays, leaving Fridays as the only night I really have time to duel.

But remember, the whole point is to have fun. I mainly come in lately to RP, and duel once in awhile if I find a partner. I hope to advance to Emerald by the end of this cycle, and if succesful will participate in the April DQ, and am toying with the idea of challenging for an Opal when I can to further my RP storyline.

This has become a long note so I'll stop talking now

Jack
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:33 pm

Date: 1/26/1998 7:06 PM Central Daylight Time

I agree with Tera, with Ringo, with Nova an' with Jeff. Thank you for saying what you said so eloquently. I have a suggestion for any one who is dissatisfied. If you're worried about someone not "fullfilling their RP obligation" - which to me is just so ... I can' think of an adjective that fits... - then drop them an email. Say, "Hey, haven't seen you around for a while.. why not stop in and duel me this coming (Wed, Fri, Sat) night?" Maybe you'd discover they haven't had much interaction lately and are looking for a reason *more* than just having an opal or a rank to play or write. You never know. Maybe you'd find out that they were sick and simply couldn't get to the computer to let *any*one know. Maybe they've had a crises... maybe they think no one even cares if they're present or not. Who knows? Many their kitchen ceilling caved in, maybe their computer crashed, maybe they don't have long distance and maybe they're fighting with their spouse. Don't think it can happen all at once? Heh, just talk to me. If you think someone's not doing their "job" of roleplay, then do yours and contact them. It's a two way street. Challenge them if you think maybe they aren't active enough. If it sounds as though this hits a personal note with me, you're right! It does! For years now, I have thought it was just plain silly to expect people to not play to their fullest *when they are able to play* -- to expect them to limit themselves from the highest ranks, parts or forms of play -- because *reality* is something they hold in higher priority than a game online. This is fun, this is special, but this is not the end alland be all and no one should be told they have to fight X times to participate in the game. Ever. My .02 Kris/ Kyttn
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:33 pm

Date: 1/27/1998 12:22 AM Central Daylight Time

::chuckling:: Okay, okay....

I would just like to say a little something about RPing in general. Regardless if you are in DoF, DoS or DoM or anything remotely like these forums, RPing is a difficult task even for the best of us. Not all are eloquent, can afford a dictionary or diction classes or have a fantastic or even passable imagination. Sometimes it is hard for one to put aside your everyday mundane self to suit up as an alien, elf, vamp or anyone of the countless
characters that can be found here online. I know, I have been there. Bad day, a fight at work or home, puter on the fritz, the deli put mayo instead of mustard on your oliveloaf sandwich... whatever the case, as much as you want to be creative and RP, somedays its just not there due to mood, or maybe you got writer's block and your fingers are locked in permanent keyboard position....

RPing is tough around here!! No mercy and everyone is a critic. Sure, there are some who just dont get it, cant tell OOC from IC, ect. But I think we all need to pitch in a bit more. Tha's why I agree with Kytn. All you guys who complain about the Ems and the Ops not RPing their spots and talents, yet you dont lift a finger to help the situation, instead just go around spouting stuff from your maws without much care who you offend or hurt.
Hey, we all got opinions and all are aloud to have em, but enough already! Challenge your local inactive Opal if you think you got what it takes to make that special utility come alive and make things more interesting for yourself as well as the rest of us patrons and those beloved RDI's. And please, we all have problems, some of us got em a little worse than perhaps the next guy, but thats partly why we come here to RP, to forget, for a little
while, to unwind and relax... though, I have to say, there have been many a time I got offline in a worse mood than when I got on....

And there you have it, no holds barred from Dor's happy-go-lucky-player-who-sometimes-is-not-so-happy-go-lucky...which is normal. ::chuckles::

Dorae "The Dangerous" Rasta