((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook))

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((OOC Thread)) - Opal Notes

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:43 pm

Date: 11/20/1998 8:12 PM Central Daylight Time

My thanks for the reply Spif, my reason for posting the comment was to address those who may not have known that there was actually an intent in giving the Opals unique properties, and that it wasn't done without due consideration.

Part of that is my own fault. To make a looooong story short, the Opals got put into play really without any background to explain where they came from, or why they came to the Outback. Perhaps had more of that been known, people might have understood better what value we, as a group, perceived in bringing them to the Outback.

-Jake

Disclaimer: I don't presume to speak for the staff of DoF, either then or now. I'm only adding my interpretation of events as part creator of the Opals.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:44 pm

Date: 11/21/1998 2:00 AM Central Daylight Time

Jake--

Like Goon said, I think 99% of the opposition to the Opals is completely IC. Janella will never ever accept them; neither will other characters for a variety of reasons. It makes for great IC controversy and story-telling; we got folks running around with fake Opals, people trying to steal Opals, others acting really odd after winning the right to wear an Opal and IC, the changed behavior is real hard to explain and it becomes quite easy to say
"the Opal did it."
I was one of the staunch supporters of the Opals when the idea was first brought about and I still think they're great. They are RP-centered and even if and when the Opals themselves are not RP'ed (in regards to their `powers', etc.), the things that go on around and regarding them are still RP-based. The tension between those believing the Opals are "bad" and "good" (to use those trite and extremely general terms), I think, only adds to the
RP-ability of the gems and the stories developing because of them. After all, if everyone was in love with them, there wouldn't be much to write about. ::grins:: And, in case I never said so before, thank you for all the hard work you put into helping create the Opals and their background story, your efforts deserve recognition.
-
--Matt
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:44 pm

Date: 11/22/1998 1:18 PM Central Daylight Time

OOC, I like the Opals and have no objection to them what-so-ever. I value them as a great source for stories.

Janella Vallonia has a great distrust of magic, and truth be told, Janella is, at times, a very simple-minded individual. She has many prejudices. I've purposefully created her to be that way because of the challenges it sets for me, her player.

I doubt that Janella will ever be convinced to feel differently about the Opals. Just like she has her mind made up above love, marriage, men, dwarves, wizards, Rhydin and the duels - - - etc. etc. etc. - - she is absolutely certain that the Opals are 'magicked'.

The beauty of this realm, and of role-playing and writing and fiction, etc., is that it lends to us situations like: WE the role-players around here may think that we know why Colonel Matthew Algiers Simon isn't acting himself, but that doesn't mean that our characters won't have other theories or opinions.

I'll always be the first one to admit that Janella Vallonia - in her own way - is rather ignorant.

-P.S.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:45 pm

Date: 11/22/1998 5:17 PM Central Daylight Time

Hehe... OOC, I love the Opals.

IC, Jaycy doesn't care, except for one thing... Janella's blaming her for all the odd things that've been happening in the Outback ( can we say termites and ferns and BBQ's? Hehehe... ) and Jaycy, not having magick anymore, can't see that, and the only other thing that could possibly be doing this are the Opals. So Jaycy would be more than happy to get them out of the Outback so the odd things'll stop happening and her name'll be cleared.

· ·· ··· •••Jaycynda ••• ··· ·· ·
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((OOC Thread)) - From the Monitor

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:46 pm

Date: 11/30/1998 7:19 PM Central Daylight Time

Hiya,

This is to let everyone know that I'm back to the job of monitoring this board.

Happy posting. :)

RDI Collie

Nexus Manager

Duel Of Swords

Rings of Honor
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:46 pm

Date: 12/13/1998 3:36 PM Central Daylight Time

Ok, folks...

RDI Tyger will be handling the RoH board from 15 Dec - 15 Jan. Send complaints, etc. to her.

Be nice to her.. :)
RDI Collie

Nexus Manager

Duel Of Swords

Rings of Honor
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:47 pm

Date: 1/23/1999 4:10 PM Central Daylight Time

Hello,

I was informed this morning the Rask has been on LOA for a period of time and returned today for those wondering why he hasn't replied to the Blue Opal story as of yet.

Cut him some time on this, ok, folks?

RDI Collie

Nexus Manager

Duel Of Swords

Rings of Honor
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:47 pm

Date: 1/23/1999 5:17 PM Central Daylight Time

Rask is on a Leave of Absence?

Whatever happened to public notice? :P
~Ck
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((OOC Thread))

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:48 pm

Date: 1/23/1999 6:49 PM Central Daylight Time

D'oh! Didn't you see? Collie just gave the public notice. Thanks for the notice Collie. =)Player of Bane
DoF Archive
Archivist

((OOC Thread)) - Post reference

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:48 pm

Date: 2/9/1999 1:39 AM Central Daylight Time

Hey all,

A while back there was a bit of a problem on the Boards and a post I had made was only on for a couple of hours, then reposted, but I'm not sure if it was posted as read. It was the Diamond speech made by Andrew, just wanted to tell anyone about who didn't see it and wanted to. It's under As Diamond... and was posted on 1/17/99. That's it..

AU
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((OOC Thread)) - Post reference

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:49 pm

Date: 2/10/1999 10:40 PM Central Daylight Time

::Smiles a bit, reflecting on past experiences and arts:: Ya spelled it right, Andrew.

Juditsu

-Robert
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:50 pm

Date: 2/12/1999 6:17 PM Central Daylight Time

I thought it was jujitsu?

Spiffy

...the somewhat inspired
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:51 pm

Date: 2/12/1999 9:46 PM Central Daylight Time

~Now here's my opinion on mods ::clears throat, looking around to see if anyone cares what this new glass has to say::

Well, I say, if I duel a higher rank, then let them use their mods!! First, they deserve to use their mods. If I a glass is unexposed to mods until he/she reaches the next rank, others will assume that they can use their mods, and when they do, that previous glass will be CLUELESS. And anyway, it's a lot more fun dueling higher ranks, I think. Being a glass, I have nothing to lose. If a glass studies other duels and learns from them, and then he goes
up against another untested glass, the learned glass will run all over him!! That means that to be successful doesn't take mods, it takes education of the moves. And besides, mods aren't the best strategy in any duel. What is, is TO GET INTO YOUR OPPENENT'S MIND. If you can out-think your opponent, you're halfway to winning that duel.

Singed,
The Glass With An Opinion
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:51 pm

Date: 2/23/1999 6:30 PM Central Daylight Time

Well, I've only fought one night but I've quickly formed the opinion that if any of the ranked wish to use their modifiers, they most certainly should. They, when used, reflect a greater level of skill, expertise and experience which someone who has earned the higher ranks would resonably expect to have gained. And yeah, it is a tougher fight when your opponent has the advantage, but it makes the victory, if
acheived, a real special one. It's like the American Ice Hockey team in the 80 Olympics, a bunch of college kids and amatuers, upsetting the Soviet juggernaught against all odds. The victory feels greater, almost epic (I may be reaching on that one) and even the defeat can be honorable. Now obviously I wouldn't complain if someone decided not to, but I see nothing wrong with someone using the modifiers they are entitled to. Surely a glass must
know the risks of fighting one of higher rank then themselves. That modifiers exist is no hidden secret, I read about them before I ever stepped into the ring.
One Eye
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((OOC Thread)) - Editorial Notes & Hyperlinks (Colli

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:52 pm

Date: 3/22/1999 4:55 PM Central Daylight Time

Hi folks,

Just a fast note. Please place all OOC notations in clear cut double parenthesis. Single ones are often used for character thought bubbles of a sort. Due to a number of incidents recently, this needs to be corrected to avoid confusion and save the complaints in my mail.

Also on hyperlinks, please make sure you use the URL and place it in an author's note. Contrary to what many think you need not have only one author's note at the end.

Such as: Please send me a note on it. ((mailto:rdicollie))

It's pretty simply, if you are using AOL 4.0, the tag line should match the one showing.

Thank you,

RDI Collie

Nexus Manager

Rings of Honor Monitor