((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook))

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook))

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:34 pm

Date: 1/27/1998 12:45 AM Central Daylight Time

Dorae....
I made comments because I *was* an active Opal, more active than any other Opal. I felt that it was within reason to make the comment. It's not a big deal, just something I thought I should point out. Maybe I should just shut up from now on....

"An optimist is someone without much life experience."Ryan Mercury
DoF Archive
Archivist

Subject: Re: ((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook))

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:35 pm

Date: 1/27/1998 9:41 PM Central Daylight Time

::applaudes::

Well said Kyttn! RPing is not a do or die issue at any cost. I play because I have fun, part of the reason I am so inconsistant in DoF is that many times I've been bored to death in there. I think that is the case in *any* room you play regularily. Just because your character carries a title does not (in my opinion) mean you're *obligated* to play them more. Ideally perhaps, yes, but realistically, it's not a well founded argument. You can
challenge, it's not forcing RP, it's obligating them to fulfill their characters title. I don't think it's fair to say "Only people who can be here often can try for becoming an Opal"

There are certain times I've been in DoF and the players (Never the RDIs I can honestly say) are being *rude*, childish or pushy and hell if I'm going to sit around on my time to humor them. If that is the attitude your character is created with, then don't complain to me about not hanging around. I'd never go somewhere where some wise arse does nothing but complain and go off on others in *real* life, so why am I obligated in play life?

My intent is to point out that if you wish to improve RP, it does start with you! Not only contacting other players but drafting ideas that will improve the rp of a room. Complaining is easy, anyone can ask a question or make an accusation, it's finding a well founded response or solution that's hard. That's not to say it's Jammer's player's responsibility either. IF it is agreed upon that some things need to be done, then try and find ways to
entice people to enjoy the room again. Do a double take on *your* character, is he/she making the room more fun and inviting or being as annoying as ____ (enter fav bad word there)? The other obvious thing is leading by example, I think DoF has some fantastic RPers. Most nights I can take Rell into DoF and watch and have a really good time, part of the reason I haven't buried her in fighting is that I want it to be a more realistic entrance into
something new, make it appear she is studying and learning (AKA RPing). But regardless she is always attempting to converse with those around her.

Sitting in the room and only RPing when you want something (ie: requesting a duel, or complaining OOC, or occasionally RPing a rounds move) also isn't considered good RPing. Stopping at saying "hello" isn't role playing and shouldn't be considered such. IT is a start. :)

Rell's player, "I'm a realist and find repetitive quotes annoying, but common in narrow thought"
DoF Archive
Archivist

Random question - OOC

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:35 pm

Date: 1/28/1998 12:49 AM Central Daylight Time

Two things I can use some insight on....(yes I know there are many more than two :P)

1. If you are posting OOC, why sign your characters name?

2. If you are posting in thoughts why sign the characters name?

Does this seem odd to anyone else? I'm merely curious...

Soarell's creator...
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:36 pm

Date: 2/14/1998 2:37 PM Central Daylight Time

Hmmm.. I'm coming into this rather late.. but hey.

I've always been sort of wishy-washy on the topic of "making" those of high rank maintain a level of visibility. But.. an item to think about:

It's been a long accepted practice to have the 14-day expiration on a folder in the FFGF. The notion is, if you don't have the time to devote to it, you don't need it.

Basically, if you want it, you need to be responsible in the maintenance of it.

Why is this concept so much harder to accept when it comes to holding rank in one of the duels? Shouldn't some level of responsiblity come along with the privlege of the rank?

-Panther
http://members.aol.com/blkpanther
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:36 pm

Date: 2/15/1998 1:08 AM Central Daylight Time

Thank you, Panther, for seeing the reason for my concern. I'm not in favor of forcing people of higher rank to duel (or RP), but I do think that they have a certain responsibility to their rank, and if they can't hold up their end of the responsibility, they should forego their rank so that someone who can take the responsibility can have a shot. That's all I've been trying to say.

"An optimist is someone without much life experience."Ryan Mercury
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:37 pm

Date: 2/15/1998 2:32 AM Central Daylight Time

I don't have that much to say, but I totally agree with you both.
I haven't been here for that long, but I have never seen many of the higher ranking duelers. I also think that they have the responsiblity to duel or roleplay every once in a while. I cannot make anyone do anything. All I can do is state my opinion and that I have done.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:38 pm

Date: 2/28/1998 11:46 PM Central Daylight Time

Okay, I dunno if anyone is going to read this, but here goes.

Hi!! Dor and I are back from our hiatus, though unplanned as it was. Look for a thread bout Dor's latest excursion; though this is the only excursion anyone will here about.

I just want to remind you all that the thread is for player entertainment, unless she talks about it to your chara, your chara has no knowledge of any of this.

So, fore-warned and all that jazz, look for the thread in a posting board near you!!

Dor's very-happy-to-be-back player

Dorae "The Dangerous" Rasta
DoF Archive
Archivist

((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook)) Imp

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:38 pm

Date: 3/5/1998 2:41 AM Central Daylight Time

Reposted Subject: ((OOC)) Missing ImpDate: Wed, Mar 4, 1998 22:58 EST((Whole thing is OOC)) Hey, this is Imp's friend, Saturn. Imp's computer crashed, he lost all his data, and he can't even restart it before it's already locked up. He'll probably have to get a new computer. But until that happens, he, of course, won't be at DoF. When he does come back, he'll probably be on as a Guest on my computer, but he won't be showing up very much at all, as compared to his usual every-day coming.Mr Saturn4
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((*The OOC Thread/Guestbook)) Imp

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:39 pm

Date: 9/18/1998 9:21 AM Central Daylight Time

(( Please note that my post entitled, "The Means To An End. The Duel of Fists' Opals" should be considered player-to-player notes and is not meant to be seen or heard by characters - unless I am consulted on it first.

:-)

Thanks,
Pam ))
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:39 pm

Date: 11/7/1998 9:57 AM Central Daylight Time

Subject: Re: Son of Gondor ~(Author's Note: End to Part One~((Reposted for EldrionKoG))Date: Fri, Nov 6, 1998 18:38 ESTFrom:EldrionKoGMessage-id: <19981106183841.01005.00000401@ng-fi1.aol.com>( So ends the first part of this story. I apologise for the delay in all of this coming out, but I have had a number of unforseen events spring up in my life; all of them causing a pause in my writing spurts. Although there will be a few more posts dealing with what has happened up to their current positions in life, for the most part, Eld's and Kart's pasts are over. Now is the time of the present. The events detailed in the following posts involve the interactions between other characters (namely you all out there) in the world of RhyDin. In other words, this is a chance (if you do not find my writings mundane) to involve yourself greatly in my writing. The more people involved in this, the better the storyline will be, trust me. :)Lastly, but certainly not least, I would like to give my thanks to my long time friend and co-writer, Kris Kessling. If it wern't for her encouragement, editing and praise, you would not be reading this story today. So, for all of the parts that lack fault thank her, for all of the parts that lack wit blame me. -Robert Leonard )
DoF Archive
Archivist

((Question on pathfinder))

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm

Date: 11/16/1998 5:37 PM Central Daylight Time

Was Fala given the real Pathfinder or a fake opal? Just wondering for RP sake.

~Fala-mun~
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((Question on pathfinder))

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:41 pm

Date: 11/16/1998 11:37 PM Central Daylight Time

Pathfinder, the one currently circulated as a title, is a fake. I know I've been incredibly behind with posting story pieces.. my sincerest apologies.. I'm constantly trying to think of what to write, I have to hit on something sometime. ::sigh::

Spiffy

He who inspired classical artists such as:

-Spiffy Amadeus Mozart

-Johann Spiffy Bach

-Spiffy von Beethoven

-Spiffy Frederick Handel

And many, many more!
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: (OOC Thread)(Question on pathfinder))

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:41 pm

Date: 11/17/1998 7:02 AM Central Daylight Time

Please do not remove the (OOC Thread) from the title when posting in this thread.

Thanks,
Rogue
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((OOC Thread)) - Opal Notes

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:42 pm

Date: 11/20/1998 10:38 AM Central Daylight Time

Opal Notes

When the Opals were brought into the Outback a year ago, a lot of discussion went on about what was trying to be accomplished.

In short, and from my perspective, there was a desire to add a rank between Emerald and Diamond, and to look for ways to try and bring more RP into the Outback. That second part is a large part of why the Opals were brought into the Outback with their "powers."

Was it argued that magic powers more properly belonged in the DoM rather than DoF? Yes. So why allow magic rocks into DoF? Because we were looking for ways to make the Opals something MORE than a fancy ring. Something more than just a reason for endless challenges (as are always taking place in the DoS where the Baron rings are all too often nothing more than trinkets).

Have the Opals had their share of challenges? Of course they have, but hopefully, there's been an element of RP to it as well. After all, which Opals were challenged for and why did they choose the particular Opal? I recall that Marzan challenged for Pathfinder, not Firestar. Why did he choose Pathfinder? My assumption is that he felt Pathfinder was most similar to/compatible with his own character.

Even now, with Janella's posts. Sure, she's arguing against the Opals being a part of the Outback, but at the same time, she's also writing her argument in story form. I'd be inclined to argue that she's added to the RP/storytelling value of the Opals without perhaps that being her intended purpose. (I don't claim to know what her purpose was, if any, beyond simply storytelling.)

What would the Opals be without their powers? Just pretty rocks? Something to challenge for, but nothing to write about? Why choose a particular Opal at all? If they were all the same (as the Baronial rings are) there'd be nothing to make them individually interesting.

I guess this is just a long-winded way of saying...before everyone rallies to purge the Outback of the Opals, they ought to at least try to understand why they were added in the first place.

-Jake
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ((OOC Thread)) - Opal Notes

Post by DoF Archive » Fri May 14, 2004 4:43 pm

Date: 11/20/1998 5:44 PM Central Daylight Time

Jake, I don't think anyone OOC wants to get rid of the Opals. You know how Janella is about magic. Any other characters who are against the Opals (I know Jaycy posted too) may have their own reasons, but I doubt any players have a problem with them. If I recall, very few had a problem with instituting them initially; I was one, and I've grown to appreciate them for what they could represent if everyone played them to
their fullest.

Spiffy

He who inspired classical artists such as:

-Spiffy Amadeus Mozart

-Johann Spiffy Bach

-Spiffy von Beethoven

-Spiffy Frederick Handel

And many, many more!